Monday, September 01, 2008

Rotten Apples

I'm fed up with my iPhone. In fact, I'm fed up with Apple in general. Here is a brief overview of why Apple totally sucks:

1) Their computers suck. They are expensive, difficult to use, fail all the time, only have 1 mouse button, make you pay for what's supposed to be a free operating system, aren't totally compatible with most things, use a bunch of proprietary formats, insult the user continuously, and represent the school of thought that it's what on the outside of the computer that counts. It takes about a million hours of customization before you can do simple things like move windows around quickly. It takes another million hours to turn off all the idiotic visual effects that waste CPU. A third million hours is required to be able to use the keyboard, which is obviously required for speed, since there's only one mouse button.

2) Their crap is all about ergonomics and not about functionality. Apple is the new Sony. Their stuff is proprietary and they allow people to develop for it only grudgingly. It is obviously Apple's goal to sell you all the software you own at super high prices - have you not noticed this?

3) Macs are not better for graphics. They have never been better for graphics. This is a bunch of crap. The only people who think this are people who never used sophisticated graphics hardware or software on a SGI or a PC. I have never found a Mac to be the better value for gaming. I have never found a Mac to offer the most impressive graphics performance for gaming. I see no reason why a large-scale rendering farm would benefit from using Macs. I know of no serious movies that were rendered using Macs. Even if there was one, I would question why it was rendered on Macs, since they do not offer better performance. I know of no software for the Mac that doesn't have a similar offering (or probably 40 similar offerings) on the PC or a Linux format.

4) The iPhone is overrated. My iPhone software crashes or goes weirdo all the time. iTunes sucks and is slow. I've had one iPhone replaced because the first one broke. The "genius bar" insulted me repeatedly telling me that I had physically tampered with the headphone jack on the broken iPhone, which I did not. They kept offering me training classes about how to use my computer and to use the Internet more productively. My current iPhone gets super hot for no reason, goes really slow sometimes for no reason, and a day doesn't go by in which I don't experience weird behavior or bugs. There are so many quirks to how the iPhone software works that I sometimes am surprised when it is functioning normally. The main feature of my iPhone is as a phone, but the call and sound quality on the iPhone is poor, the bluetooth functionality is nerfed, and there is no service available for Verizon, which has the best coverage, in my experience. There are tons of ludicrous design flaws, like the inability to continue loading web pages with the screen turned off. The camera totally sucks. The navigation system on the iPhone totally sucks. The navigation system on my Chocolate from Verizon a couple years ago was vastly superior, so I know it's possible to make that system work.

5) Apple zealots. I don't like these people and I don't ever want to be associated with them. They are arrogant, smug, and insulting.

6) The whole "computers for schools" thing is the most transparent bunch of crap. I hate Microsoft, because they made a bunch of shady licensing deals and stifled competition. But I draw the line at convincing schools to pay extra money for computers they don't need. Kids should be learning how to use Linux and Windows, since they're the most important and common operations systems. It'd be like convincing driver training classes to buy Volkswagon Beetles. Why would you want this? Learning to drive it is less transferrable to other things, and it's more expensive that a 'regular looking' car of comparable performance.

I will be looking for a replacement device for my iPhone starting right now. I used to recommend Macs sometimes to people who were computer illiterate, but I won't be doing this for the foreseeable future. Vista is far easier to use and more stable now than the Mac OS. Computers with Vista seem to be far cheaper. Vista is more compatible with other systems in the world for most users.

Apple sucks. I'm tired of being told by people who know very little about computers how great their MacBook or iPhone is. I've been using an iPhone for quite a while now. It is nothing special. Even if it didn't have a bunch of bugs, it wouldn't be a revolutionary device. It's time for a crop of better devices to supplant it. Go to hell, Apple.

2 comments:

Alex said...

I definitely agree with some of your post ... but, doesn't have a BSD core and a Unix/Linuxy command line merit any kind of mention?

Oh and rappers hate the iPhone too:
http://gizmodo.com/5033088/why-rap-stars-are-hating-on-the-iphone

Andy Barkett said...

Yes, these things (BSD-ness and decent shell) are good, but I can't bring myself to pay for a free operating system. I might buy Redhat Linux for a big business because I would get support and whatnot for it.

But Apple support has treated me horribly, so I can't make the same argument about paying for OSX.