Friday, October 17, 2008

Talent vs. Hard Work

For a long time, I basically believed that the less talent a person had, the harder they had to work to achieve the same thing. I still think this basic premise is true, but I have come to see how short-sighted it is as a concept.

Those who have talent should, in fact, work even harder than those who do not. Those who have talent have a comparative advantage in activity. To NOT work hard, for them, wastes more than does lazyness by the talentless.

Pandit Nehru, John Adams, Abraham Lincoln, Bejamin Franklin, Isaac Newton, Julius Caesar, Winston Churchill, and many of the other great men I have studied, had unfathomable natural gifts, AND worked harder than everyone else around them.

When I think about what makes them great, it seems to be equal parts natural ability and hard work.

Perhaps greatness amongst men is only greatness when the great minds of men are put into motion to aid mankind.

No comments: